Current Job OpeningsTown of Franklin, NC
Full-Time Street Maintenance Crew Leader
The Town of Franklin is accepting applications for a full-time Street Maintenance Crew Leader. The position performs responsible technical and skilled work leading a unit engaged in street right of way mowing, street cleaning, concrete work, and related tasks. This employee would lead a crew engaged in a variety of work associated with streets right-of-way maintenance, snow removal, street cleaning, brush removal and related maintenance activities. The employee must exercise judgement and initiative in carrying out assignments.
Qualifications: Graduation from high school and experience in in street maintenance including heavy equipment operation experience and some lead work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Special Requirements: Possession of a valid North Carolina driver's license. Possession of North Carolina class B commercial driver’s license and general computer skills are preferred.
This position will close on April 27, 2018. Only applicants scheduled for interviews will be contacted.
Applicants must submit a Town of Franklin application form to the Macon County NCWorks Career Center office located at 23 Macon Avenue, Courthouse Annex, Franklin, NC 28734. Mailing address is 5 West Main Street, Franklin, NC, 28734. Office contact number is 828-369-9534. Applications can be found here.
For additional questions please contact Travis Tallent, Human Resources, at 828-524-2516. A copy of the position classification and application can be found at franklinnc.com. Hard copies can be picked up at Town Hall, located at 95 East Main Street. The Town of Franklin is an EEO/ADA employer.
Salary range: $33,521 - $40,703 DOE
Part Time Firefighter
The Town of Franklin is currently accepting application for part-time firefighters. The Firefighter protects life and property by performing mitigation activities during emergency situations to include fires, medical incidents, rescue and other circumstances. Other duties include performing maintenance of vehicles and fire stations, conducting pre-plan fire, promoting emergency prevention and public education, and representing the Town of Franklin Fire Department to the public at various events.
Duties and Responsibilities
These duties and responsibilities are not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the Town.
• Performs fire control and rescue operations by entering burning structures, utilizing systematic search procedures to locate and rescue trapped victims, determining safe evacuation paths, locating fire source, extinguishing the fire, operating heavy equipment and apparatus, forcing entry into structures, locating hydrants and other sources of water, operating hose lines, examining fire damage, and salvage and overhaul.
• Responds to traffic accidents, extricates patients from their vehicles using extrication techniques and equipment, providing stabilization first aid and basic life support, communicating with patient and providing transfer of care report, mitigating minor hazmat incidents, securing scenes, and extinguishing vehicle fires.
• Participates in continuous professional development by attending training in areas such as fire ground operations, EMT, search and rescue, driver/operator training, NIMS, physical fitness and hazmat operations.
• Maintains equipment and the facility by performing daily preventative maintenance, testing fire equipment, and maintaining standard living conditions in facility.
• Performs operational support and administrative duties by facilitating fire prevention education, fire truck displays, station tours, installing smoke detectors, and assisting the public in emergency and non-emergency situations.
• Responds to customers' needs within the scope of training and expertise.
• Represents the department at special events including parades and open houses.
• Participates in pre-fire planning.
• Works irregular hours including weekends, holidays and extended hours as needed.
• Performs work during emergency/disaster situations.
• Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Education and Experience
Applicant must be a minimum of twenty-one (21) years of age.
High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) and the ability to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job such as those listed above.
Licenses and Professional Certifications
• NC EMT (Preferred) EMR (Minimum)
• NC Firefighter Certification
• NC Driver License Class B
• NC Driver Operator Pumps (Preferred)
• NC Driver Operator EVD (Preferred)
• NC Driver Operator Aerial (Preferred)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of effective customer service; basic principles of fire science; emergency management techniques; hazardous materials management techniques; emergency medical practices; basic local and state fire ordinances; and basic principles of rescue.
Skilled in performing fire suppression and rescue operations; operating firefighting equipment; performing basic vehicle maintenance; preparing written incident reports; using a computer and related software applications; and communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Ability to represent the Town in a professional and respectful manner while interacting with a diverse set of individuals within the workplace and the community.
Employee is subject to inside environmental conditions having the lighting, temperature, and noise of an open floor-plan office environment. The employee is also exposed to outdoor conditions when responding to calls, and may be frequently exposed to weather elements including rain, wind, varying temperatures, etc. In addition, the employee must effectively deal with personal danger, which may include exposure to hazardous chemicals and materials, fumes and smoke, intense heat, electrical hazards, confined or high work places, dangerous animals, extremely loud noises, hazards of emergency driving, hazards associated with traffic control and working in and near traffic, and natural and man-made disasters.
A portion of work is performed within an office environment, primarily behind a desk, and frequently includes the operation of a computer. The employee must read and write, and interact with others in person, over the phone, and via other devices. Travel is often required to outside sites in order to perform the duties described above, as well as to attend meetings, trainings, events, and other business activities. Work also requires running, walking, standing, bending, crouching, crawling, lifting, carrying, and/or moving equipment and injured/deceased persons, pushing and pulling various objects, climbing stairs and ladders, performing life-saving and rescue procedures, and operating assigned equipment including motor vehicles. Must be able to perform medium work exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally; and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently; and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Please submit a Town of Franklin application form at Town Hall. You can find an application here. For additional information you can contact HR Officer Travis Tallent at 828-524-2516 ext. 312.
Town Planning Board/Board of Adjustment Vacancies
The Town of Franklin is currently seeking to fill two vacancies on the Town Planning Board/Board of Adjustment. The Town is looking for a town resident and an alternate ETJ resident to serve as a representative on this board that serves on both the Planning board and the Board of Adjustment. The Board of Adjustment meets the 2nd Monday of every month at 4:00 p.m. and the Planning Board meets the 3rd Monday of every month at 4:00 p.m. The meetings are held in the Town Hall Board Room. A time commitment of approximately 2 hours a month is necessary. A resume and current address is required. For more information or to express an interest in serving on the board, please contact Town Planner, Justin Setser at (828) 524-2516.