COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus Notices & Information from the Town of Franklin NC
August 6 Update: 64 Active Cases of COVID-19 in Macon County, 402 Recovered, 3 Deaths | 469 Total Cases
North Carolina to Remain Paused in Safer At Home Phase 2 until at least through September 11, 2020 - STATEWIDE REQUIREMENT FOR FACE COVERINGS
Due to the vast amount of information available to our citizens, the Town of Franklin has expanded our website to include separate sections for the State of North Carolina, Macon County NC, and Resources.
August 6 - Macon County to Hold Community Testing in Franklin on Thursday, August 13th
Macon County Emergency Management and Macon County Public Health will be hosting a COVID-19 testing clinic for the community in Franklin on August 13th, 2020. The clinic will be held at Macon Middle School from 8AM to 11AM. Persons may get a COVID-19 test regardless of their ability to pay and do not need to schedule an appointment.
WHAT: COVID-19 Testing Clinic
WHEN: August 13th, 2020, 8AM until 11 AM
WHERE: Macon Middle School -
1345 Wells Grove Road -
Franklin, NC 28734
For those who would like to receive a COVID-19 test, you are asked to fill out your paperwork ahead of time, which is available at the following link: CLICK HERE. You are also asked to bring your insurance card, if you have insurance. There is no cost for a COVID-19 test, with or without insurance.
July 31, 2020 Update - Macon County Schools
The Macon County Board of Education has approved Plan B for the 2020-2021 school year.
- Students in the Franklin area (K-8) will alternate between A/B days. Group A will attend Monday & Wednesday and Group B will attend Tuesday & Thursday. All students will have remote learning on Friday.
- Franklin High School will operate on A/B days with Freshman and Juniors attending on Monday & Wednesday and Sophomores & Seniors on Tuesday & Thursday. Friday will be remote learning for everyone.
- Macon Early College will operate on A/B days. Group A will attend for face to face instruction on Monday and Wednesday. Group B will attend for face to face instruction on Tuesday and Thursday. Remote Learning for all on Friday
- Nantahala School & Union Academy- All students on campus-social distancing requirements in place (M,T,W,T). Remote learning for all students on Friday.
- September 7-11 will be remote learning for everyone (with the exception of the Labor Day Holiday). This will allow our district time to evaluate Plan B & adjust if needed.
Face coverings will be provided & required for all students & staff.
Our parent survey will remain open until Monday, August 3. If you have not completed the survey, please do so. If you have completed the survey, and would like to change your option for in-person instruction or virtual academy, please contact your child’s school.
Additional information & details will be forthcoming including the class lists for A day & B day. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we all work together in the best interest of all our students.
July 28, 2020 - Macon County Reports Third Death Related to COVID-19
A Macon County resident diagnosed with COVID-19 has died. The person was over the age of 65 and had underlying health conditions. To protect the family´s privacy, no further information will be released about this patient.
“This individual’s family and loved ones are in our thoughts and prayers,” stated Kathy McGaha, Macon County Health Director.
Mrs. McGaha continued, “With our second and third death occurring within a week of each other, our urgent message to the community continues to be: wear a mask, wash your hands, and wait 6 feet from others. Continue to practice social distancing and limit your trips outside your home to help to slow the spread of COVID-19.”